I upgraded my laptop to Yosemite (Mac OS X Version 10.10.2). It’s good. I like the simpler graphics. Far as I can tell so far, all my applications work properly but I had problems with MySQLWorkbench which was crashing when I attempted to start the local MySQL server. I didn’t know if the problem was MySQLWorkbench or with MySQL.
I used Google to find out if others reported the same problem with solutions and didn’t get very far. The solutions were for other problems.
Here’s what I did and I hope it helps others who see this.
1. From https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/workbench/ downloaded and installed version 6.3
2. From http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/downloaded and installed version 5.6.23
3. Launched MySQLWorkbench and was disappointed that it still crashed.
4. In the Terminal, started MySQL Server with the command: “sudo /usr/local/mysql/support-files/mysql.server start”
5. This start command worked and apparently had the affect of creating the files needed for MySQL to configure itself and and start properly.
6. Re-lauched MySQLWorkbench and connected to the Local server. It detected that MySQL was running. I tested further by starting and stoping the server via MySQLWorkBench.
All now seems to be ok for my needs.